CHEM 178 Supplemental Instruction
|Sign-up for E-mail Updates|
|View Past E-mail Updates|
|Contact Your SI Leader|
|Submit a Compliment/Concern|
|Complete a Schedule Survey|
Weekly SI SessionsSunday 3:10pm @ Gilman 2104
Monday 4:10pm @ Gilman 2104
Wednesday 4:10pm @ Gilman 2104
About SI for this Course
Whether general chemisty is like a second language to you or not, SI is a great way to knock out some out-of-class study time - the recommended amount for any class is 3 hours per credit hour each week. My sessions will include mostly worksheets that will be posted here before each session and are to be completed in session on both an individual and group basis. I will also try to incorporate other fun activities that will provide lots of practice of the concepts discussed in lecture. The answer keys to these worksheets will be available each session but typically will not be posted online, unless there's a lot we aren't able to get through a certain day. Feel free to contact me through the SI website to address any additonal questions or concerns!
1) Because we just had an exam, there will be no SI session today, September 30th!
2) Monday, Septemeber 18th's session will still be happening as of right now. It'll be one where we jump ahead a little bit and start practicing concepts for Tuesday's lecture.
4) I’ve received a few questions about whether I would be/could post worksheet keys. Though I’d originally planned against it, I’ve decided to do so for the time being. In exception of the 14.4-14.5 worksheet key which I've posted, keys will only be posted once a week. This means that each Sunday, I will be posting all the keys to the worksheets from the past week. Keep in mind that they will only show the answers so it’s highly encouraged that you attend SI because no solutions will be provided on these keys.
5) NO SI SESSIONS WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY, SEPTERMBER 4TH due to Labor Day. I’ll still be having my Sunday session on September 3rd.
Hey guys! So I have a couple of announcements.
1) I was a bit frazzled in today’s session (sorry about that) and for some reason, let y’all out a few minutes early because I thought our time was up. For anyone who was confused about that, SI ends at 4 pm on Sundays and 5 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays!
2) For the person who asked me about question 1c on the homework, a hint is to find Experiment 2’s rate of formation for Br2 and then relate this back to the rate of consumption for Br- by its stoichiometry/relative rates equation. Refer back to the slides for Lecture 2. Hope this helps and apologies for not having a clear answer at the session! I needed time to look over the problem first.
3) In terms of homework this semester, please utilize professor/TA office hours and the Chemistry Help Center in Gilman 1761 for further assistance! SI leaders try to steer clear of any class assignments in order to encourage students to take advantage of other resources.
Worksheet 3.2 (sections 15.5 and 16.1-16.4) [DOCX] - Feel free to print out your own copy but I'll have some copies available.
Worksheet 3.1 [DOCX] -
Exam 1 Review [PDF] -
Exam 1 Review KEY [PDF] -
Worksheet 2.2 KEY [DOCX] - uploading early in case anyone wants to look it over for tomorrow's exam.
Worksheet 1.3 KEY [DOCX] -
Worksheet 2.1 KEY [DOCX] - **Session correction: all the equilibrium constant expression in question 5 can be written as Kc and Kp. Kp can used as long as all the species in K are gases; that doesn’t necessarily mean that the phase of all Rs and Ps in a reaction must be gases.
Worksheet 2.2 (sections 15.3 and 15.5-15.6) [DOCX] - Please print and bring with you.
Worksheet 2.1 (sections 15.1-15.2 and 15.4) [DOCX] - Worksheet for 9/6/17.
Worksheet 1.3 (sections 14.5-14.7 and 12.8) [DOCX] - Worksheet for 9/3/17. PLEASE PRINT AND BRING WITH YOU.
Worksheet 1.2 (sections 14.4-14.5) [DOCX] - Worksheet for today, August 30's session. Please print and bring with you.
Worksheet 1.2 (sections 14.4-14.5) Key [DOCX] - Please read the most recent announcement on how I will be posting keys after this.
Worksheet 1.1 (sections 14.1-14.3) [DOCX] - Worksheet for today, August 28th's SI session. Sorry to be posting it so late but I should be posting them at least a week early from now on.